The Essential Elements of an Edmund Rice Christian Brother Education
An Edmund Rice Christian Brother education provides Catholic and non-Catholic families a rigorous educational experience grounded in faith and service. Located in the United States and Canada, the schools educate children, young men, and young women in grades K-12.
Guided by the Essential Elements of a Christian Brother Education, Edmund Rice schools evoke a deep awareness of God’s loving presence as they have for over 200 years.
The Essential Elements of an Edmund Rice Christian Brother Education calls educational ministry sites and those working in them to:
I. Evangelize Youth within the Mission of the Church.
- Proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ in word and deed
- Permeate the entire curriculum, activities, and all aspects of the educational process with the Gospel message of Jesus Christ
- Encourage young people to a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ
- Provide opportunities for liturgies, retreats, vocation awareness workshops and daily prayer
II. Proclaim and Witness to Catholic Identity.
- Give priority to religious instruction with opportunities for faith development and theological understanding
- Participate in the sacramental life of the Church and model a living faith through the use of rituals and symbols
- Foster devotion to Mary and the communion of saints
- Ensure that Catholic identity permeates all endeavors: all classes and activities, procedures and policies, services and programs
III. Stand in Solidarity with those Marginalized by Poverty and Injustice.
- Promote policies and structures that reflect a climate of compassion for the poor and disadvantaged
- Include education and advocacy for peace, justice, global awareness, and care for the Earth Edmund Rice Christian Brothers Office of Educational Services 2
- Prepare students to work toward the creation of a just society
- Encourage ministry experiences that work with and serve the poor and marginalized
- Support mission areas at home and abroad
- Establish tuition and scholarship policies that open educational opportunities to the poor and disadvantaged
IV. Foster and Invigorate a Community of Faith.
- Provide a disciplined, safe atmosphere in which students are free to grow and take responsibility for their own learning and for the life of the community
- Sustain compassionate, respectful relationships among all stakeholders
- Be in union with the Church through commitment to service and formation of community
- Encourage faculty and staff to give daily witness to their integral role in communal faith formation
- Embrace the human condition and welcome God's healing
V. Celebrate the Value and Dignity of each Person and Nurture the Development of the Whole Person.
- Promote respect for each individual as created in the image and likeness of God
- Value the diversity of the human family and seek to reflect diversity among the students, faculty, and staff
- Promote strong programs for personal, professional, and pastoral care
- Offer co-curricular activities and programs that are important to a student's holistic education
- Strive to provide just remuneration for faculty and staff
VI. Collaborate and Share Responsibility for the Mission.
- Empower all members of the community to share in the mission
- Work with parents who are the primary educators
- Collaborate with Edmund Rice Christian Brother ministries on local, regional, and international levels
- Foster a deeper understanding of the vision of Blessed Edmund
- Promote active participation in governance by boards and diocesan officials
VII. Pursue Excellence in all Endeavors.
- Promote a strong academic curriculum and cultivate a desire for excellence
- Develop an educational culture that fosters the growth of the whole person, higher-order thinking, and life-long learning